The Zodiac consists of 12 Rasis (signs) of 30 degrees each making the entire Zodiac 360 degrees. Each of the sign i.e. 30 degrees is further subdivided into number of divisions / Vargas. These Varga charts are known as Divisional charts. These charts are used for predictive purposes.
Shodasa Vargas means 16 types of divisional charts.
Parasara Maharshi had mentioned sixteen kinds of Varga charts in his “Brihatpara Horasastra” book. They are as follows:
- Rasi (also known as Lagna chart)
- Aksha Vedamsa
The below is the image of some charts.
These charts can used in predictions for specific subjects as follows:
- Rasi chart can be used to know the general strength of the chart and about Lagna
- Hora chart for wealth
- Drekkana chart for co-borns i.e. brothers/sisters
- Chaturthamsa for education
- Sapthamsa for children
- Navamsa for husband / wife
- Dasamsa for occupation
- Dwadasamsa for parents
- Shodasamsa for desires
- Vimsamsa for achievements
- Chathurvimsamsa for academic achievements
- Bhamsa for misfortunes
- Khavedamsa for good and bad things